Friday, April 24, 2020

Sourdough Journal 4/24/2020

Friday, April 24 - abt 12:30 AM

Bear with me when I discuss days and nights - I've worked a non-standard shift for the last 21 years, and for most of my working life in general.  I now work 2 PM - 10:30 PM, so I get home around 11 PM if I leave the shop on time.

When last we met, I had put the jar with the discard in the fridge.  When I got home last night (Thursday night) I pulled the jar out of the fridge, cracked the lid, and left it on the counter to warm up.

This morning, (Friday morning, a hour or so later) I measured a dry cup of flour and a liquid cup of water, put them in a glass bowl, and stirred and scraped the discard into the mixture.  Nice yeasty nose!  I put the bowl on a cookie sheet in case of overflow, loosely covered the bowl with plastic wrap, mostly to protect the towel, and a kitchen towel, and put it on top of the stove.  If all goes well I should be able to start a batch of dough for baking Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Baby got the usual - 4 oz water, 4 oz flour, 2 oz starter, clean jar, and back behind the coffee maker.  High water mark was at the jar's shoulder, texture was bubbly and odor was wonderfully yeasty.  I think the fresher unbleached flour is making a difference in the activity.

No comments: