Sunday, April 19, 2020

Sourdough Journal 4/19/2020

Sunday 4/19 - abt 1:45 AM

Baby will be 1 week old shortly.  I just tended to her before I go to try to sleep.

Beautiful yeast smell when I stuck my nose in the jar.  Lots of little bubbles.  When I stirred the starter it gave that popping sound and feel I associate with kneading risen bread dough.

I'm getting a little smarter and measuring the water and flour before I start working with the starter. 

This time instead of using a plastic bowl I used the Tupperware 8 cup mixing cup we use for mixing cornbread mix and pancake batter - I wanted to see if the spout made getting the fed starter back into the jar easier.  It helped, but a wide mouth jar would be better.  The quart size has been fine for the starting process, but the standard mouth jar is a little small.

That said, I measured two ounces of starter using the scales and discarded the rest.  I think I can start saving or using the discard but I don't have a good way to store it yet.  I added 4 ounces of AP flour and 4 ounces of tap water, stirred, and scraped the mixture into a clean jar.  Covered and parked.

Time to start considering how to use the starter.  I'm not big on the 'artisan' loaf so I'm going to find a recipe that makes standard loaves to try first, then maybe some pancakes or waffles.

No comments: