Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Getting some culture in my life...

I started a wild yeast sourdough starter on Sunday, April 12.

The purists on the videos and websites I've been viewing recommend keeping a journal of a starter's life and since I have this site doing nothing it seems like a good place to put notes.  I'll write in a narrative tone in case someone wanders by and wants to learn from my experiences and / or be entertained.

So, the story thus far:

Sunday 4/12 - some time around 3 AM, I mixed 4 ounces by weight of Gold Medal AP flour of indeterminate age and 4 ounces of city tap water in a plastic bowl with a plastic spoon, scraped it into a new quart Ball jar, and secured a quarter-folded clean cotton handkerchief over the jar mouth with a rubber band.  I put the jar on the kitchen counter behind the Keurig next to the refrigerator.

Monday 4/13 - again, some time around 3 AM, I uncovered the jar, stirred the contents with a silicone spatula, added 4 ounces by weight of city tap water, stirred it well, then added 4 ounces by weight of the same AP flour, stirred with the same spatula until all of the flour was combined, scraped down the sides of the jar, wiped the mouth with a clean, damp paper towel, covered the jar with the same handkerchief and returned the jar to the same spot.

Tuesday 4/14 - about 2:30 AM, I uncovered the jar.  I could see some small bubbles on the surface and could smell something other than raw wet flour so I think something is happening.  After stirring well and scraping the sides of the jar with a clean silicone spatula I tared out a plastic bowl on my scale and poured 2 ounces of the mixture from the jar into the bowl and discarded the rest in the sink. 

The consistency reminded me of smooth but thick applesauce.  I tared out the scale and added 4 ounces each of water and flour, stirred well and put the mixture into a used but clean quart Ball jar, cleaned the mouth of the jar, covered with the same cloth and rubber band and returned the jar to the same spot. 

That brings me current. 

I named the starter Baby, due to the 3 AM feedings, but then realized that nobody puts Baby in the corner, so I'll have to find a new place to put her.

No comments: